Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Le Tour Eiffel!

After 8 weeks of living in Paris, I finally climbed the Eiffel Tower yesterday.  I did ascend the massive iron structure once before, with my Moravian trip back in high school.  We went up at night which was beautiful.  This time, the rest of the Duckloe clan joined me and we went up during the day.  We were pretty lucky with the line (maybe about a 45 minute wait) and EXTREMELY lucky with the weather.  It was pretty warm, and there was a bright blue sky. 

 Le Tour Eiffel
The tower was built in 1889 for a world's fair in Paris.  Gustave Eiffel was the architect, and the tower is named after him.  It is the tallest building in Paris, 324 meters tall (1,063 ft).  Back in the day, Parisians detested this "iron monstrosity".  It was going to be torn down after twenty years, but thankfully it remains at the end of Champ de Mars, a beautiful symbol of Paris and of France.  I still smile everytime I see it.....
 View of the Seine from the second level

 Champ de Mars

 Looking up the tower

Arc de Triomphe from the second level (it's right in the middle!)

We did go up to the summit (3rd level) which also offered spectacular views of the city.  However, the space was enclosed and all the pictures had a glare. It was a perfect day to go to the Eiffel Tower, and I had a great time!  It is very touristy, but how could you go to Paris and not go up the Eiffel Tower??


One more thing crossed off my Parisian bucket list!

Bisous,
Allison



No comments:

Post a Comment