Thursday, February 9, 2012

French Classes

Well, not classes about the French language, but classes in French.  Today I had my TD (small seminar class) and CM (big lecture class) for my Intro to the 20th Century history class and then my TD for my class on the Nobility of Louis XIV. Overall, it was a good day, but very tiring!

This morning I headed out to the boonies of Paris for the 20th century class.  That campus of Paris IV is near Porte de Clingancort (very near the flea market I went to a few weeks ago!)  First was the small seminar where most of our work will be done.  The professor was a substitute, and spoke very fast.  I understood her when she was talking about history (fascism vs Nazism vs totalitarianism) but when she was explaining the workload and homework I got a little lost.  But I understood the gist of it so don't worry Mom! 

After lunch, I had the CM for 20th century.  Coming from a small business school, this was the largest class I had ever been in EVER. Luckily there were some Sweet Briar students taking the class with me.  Most of us are from small schools, and we all agreed it was strange to be in a large theater with about 100 kids listening to a lecture.  This prof had a microphone, and had some slides that were displayed on monitors around the room.  The class focuses on 1930-1950, so there will be some material I've covered before.  I don't mind at all though, because it is new vocabulary en francais.  Although I think I will like the class, it is strange to not have classes at Babson.  The Clingancort campus is undergoing some renovations, but the building where I have classes is done already.  However it still feels kind of like a warehouse.  All the floors and walls are concrete with yellow accents.  Not my favorite.  Babson is much prettier and more comfortable!  At least I got to spend my evening here........
La Sorbonne

The TD for Louis XIV's nobility meets at the old Sorbonne because it is a more advanced course.  Although I am not in this stunning building, my classroom is just one minute down the street to the left.  The TD room was rather small and packed with students.  In front was a small chalkboard and the walls were lined with leather bound books.  It felt much more Sorbonne-like!  The only thing I don't like about the TD is that it meets from 6pm-8pm.  Ew.  So I grabbed two macarons (raspberry and earl grey, like the tea!) to tide me over until I made it back to my host family's for dinner.  Those macaron made everything all right!  Tomorrow is our visit to the Catacombs of Paris.  I've heard it's pretty lively down there...

Bisous!
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment