Monday, February 6, 2012

Superbowl in Paris

Although I would have preferred a different outcome of the game, I had a lot of fun watching Superbowl 46 here in Paris!  My friends and I got to a bar near the Pantheon that was showing the game around 10pm and it was already pretty crowded.  The actual game didn't start until 12:30am here, so we passed our time by watching the pregame show and chatting with other study abroad students and American expats.  I've gotten used to hearing French in the background, so it was weird to hear English in the background! By the time the game started, the bar was absolutely packed, standing room only.  Luckily we bumped into some friends who had claimed a table.
 Patriots fans represent!


Before the game started, the bartender said (in English but with a thick French accent) "We're all here to enjoy the game, but since this is normally a Packer's bar, good luck to the f*$*ing Patriots and good luck to the f*#$ing Giants."  Then the game started!  Sadly, we were watching on the ESPN America network (apparently there is an ESPN for Europe) so there were no commercials.  One of my favorite things about the Superbowl are the commercials!  Ah well.  Everyone loved the halftime show (myself included) and the whole bar sang along to Madonna's "Like a Prayer".  My friends and I left at 3am, right before the 4th quarter started because we did have class today.  So we grabbed a cab and went home.  It was my first time in a car since arriving here three weeks ago! The streets of Paris were eerily quiet, there were barely any cars around.   But then again, it was 3am on a Sunday night/Monday morning.  Today I tried to catch up on my commercials and here are some of the ones I liked the best.

How can you not like this dog? But I do like last year's VW commercial with the kid as Darth Vader better. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the "grown up" Ferris driving a CR-V, but I loved all the movie references!  "Broderick....Broderick....."

I thought this ad was brilliant.  And it was a contest winner!  I hope the writer gets a contract.

And how could you not love Clint Eastwood's ad?  He is the man.

Well that's all for now mes amis! I hope you all enjoyed the game and the commercials too.


Bisous,
Allison


2 comments:

  1. Ah, but technically speaking, the Chrysler ad was financed by the Italians...

    And you missed two of my favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho (the fraternity house was dead quiet for the duration of this one, and then erupted in laughter about 47 seconds in).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUFSHzT2xuY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you posted the Fiat ad on my facebook wall a few months ago. And I also enjoyed the Jerry Sinfeld ad. I would have taken the soup nazi and the zip line through Manhattan in exchange for the car for sure.

    ReplyDelete