Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chateau de Versailles(Louis XIV's Crib)

Hier, mon programme a fait un petit voyage au Chateau de Versailles.  I had never been before, but I had seen many pictures, and my host dad also bought be a Versailles tour book!  Tres gentil!  I thought I knew what to expect.  I truly was not prepared for how MASSIVE the chateau and the gardens were.  The grounds went on as far as they eye could see.  And it was crazy to think that THIS WAS SOMEONE'S HOUSE.  Although it wasn't just anyone's house, it was the house of the King of France.  But still.  Versailles really is a great example of the Absolute Monarchy.   Who would want to mess around with the boss of Versailles??

 Statue of Louis XIV outside the gates of Versailles


How would you like to ring the doorbell here for trick or treating?

 Chapel Royal

 Center of Palace, The King's bedroom is there.

Family of Louis XIV depicted as Roman Gods

 The King's Bedroom.  Do you think there is enough gold?

 Bust of Louis XIV

Council Room

 Hall of Mirrors, or le Gallerie des Glaces en francais.
Simply Stunning.
I would really like to throw a party here.

 Statues along the gallery

Me in a mirror in the Hall of Mirrors!

 Stuff Study Abroad Students Say:
"Can you take my picture?"

 Bedroom of Louis XV

THE COOLEST CLOCK EVER.
It displays the time, date, and lunar cycles. You can see the 18th century mechanisms through the glass panels on the sides. 

 The Opera
Our guide told us we were not allowed to take pictures, but I snapped one anyway.  I live life on the edge.  There is also a painting on the ceiling.  Nobles could be invited to watch the royal family eat on the stage.  There are still concerts held here, the acoustics are fantastic.

All the rooms were decorated with beautiful friezes.  This particular one was in "La salle des chiens".
Yep. Louis had a room just for his dogs.  The favorite hunting dogs of the royal family make up the frieze. 

 Les Jardins de Versailles. 
You could spend a whole day just wandering around the gardens.  One thing I found really interesting/odd was that there were speakers in the trees and bushes that played classical music.  It definitely gave more of a stately/royal feel to the gardens, but it was weird to hear the music coming from nowhere....
 Versailles au Printemps!

We were lucky and had great weather for our visit...

 I found this statue rather amusing. That deer is going down. 

 Walking in the footsteps of Marie Antoinette....

If only this were my backyard....I would host some sweet barbecues.

 Fountain with crocodiles...

 Neptune's Fountain

Boats and Swans.....

We were only at Versailles for about 3 hours or so, and I didn't get to see the Trianon (Marie Antoinette's "peasant" house, where she played dress up and whatnot...) or the Queen's Apartments.  I'll try to go back in May and spend the day wandering around the gardens.  One more thing to add to the list of things to do in Paris before I head back to the States....

Bisous,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment