Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Classical Friday Night

Desolee about the lack of blogging friends!  I have been studying while on my study abroad program.  However on Friday, I did make time to go to a concert at Saint Eustache church near les Halles.  One of my JYF friends is the Sorbonne Orchestra that was performing that evening.  In my head, I referred to that particular church as St. Mustache.   I am super mature, je sais. 

 

For a mere 2 euro, I enjoyed 2 and a half hours of beautiful music in a magnificent church.  The orchestra played two pieces by Von Weber and Ravel, then the chorus joined them for music by Mozart and Poulenc.  I'm not sure which pieces they played, they were introduced in French, and I was conveniently sitting behind a pillar so I couldn't watch the conductor talk to see what he was saying.  I will ask Emily the names of the songs and report back!!  The music was wonderful and I absolutely loved the concert, and it made me very thankful to be in Paris and have all these amazing opportunities. 

 As you can see, I did not have the best seat in the house.  My JYF friend Emily is on the right side of the picture with her bassoon. 
 Catching a glimpse of the conductor

The singers...sorry about the pole in the middle of the picture!

On my way home, filled with the joy of wonderful music, I came to Avenue de Ternes.  I was about to cross the street, quand SOUDIAN, APPROXIMATELY 300 ROLLERBLADERS CAME TEARING DOWN THE STREET! It was about 11pm, and I have no idea why they were rollerblading, but I did see some AIDS awareness t-shirts, so maybe it was a fundraiser.  They were all going so fast, it was hard to get a good picture.  After a few minutes, they had all passed and I was able to cross the avenue without being taken out by Parisian Rollerbladers.  


I imagine death by rollerbladers would not be pleasant. 


Bisous,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment