Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Florence: Quick update!

Buenoserra my friends!  Ariel and I arrived in Florence yesterday.  I would have posted, but the shower flooded our hostel room, and we had to clean it up.  Holy cannoli, it's always something!!  I felt like I was back in Venice, gondoleering through the room....BUT we had a lovely day before that!  The internet is slower in this hostel, so I'm having trouble uploading my pictures, so I'll give you a brief written update, and try to upload the pictures later.

-yesterday(April 17)
We arrived in Florence and wandered around so we could take advantage of the sunshine!  In our wanderings, we saw the Cathedrale Santa Maria dei Fiore, and the Duomo!  That's the building with the huge bronze doors (holla AP Euro!!). We then walked over to San Lorenzo church where the leather markets are.  Ariel bought a leather jacket and I bought a kelly green leather messenger bag.  It's wonderful, I'm looking forward to using it at school next year and at work!  We then headed back to our hostel to check in, and then we went for dinner.  I had ravioli and tuscan bread with olive oil and garlic.  Deliciouso!!  At the end of the meal, there were complimentary shots of limonchello, an Italian lemon liquor.  It was also delicouso!!  We got some gelato for dessert (I opted for nutella and marcapone) which was sublime. 

The one thing I've noticed about Florence, is that there are not many cars, which is good, because the sidewalks are tiny.  It's another great walking city.  But every once in a while, a car (or Vespa) comes along, and you have to get out of the street.  Mama Mia!

-today (April 18th)
We woke up this morning to go to the Accademia, one of Florence's many art museums.  There was lots of religous artwork, and of course, Michaleangelo's David.  I had heard a lot of hype about the sculpture, and I can honestly say it lived up to my expectations.  I had no idea David was so tall!  It was crazy to turn the corner and see him standing in the center of the gallery in all his glory.  We weren't allowed to take pictures in the Accademia, but I got a picture with a replica outside the Plazzo Vecchio, the Florence Town Hall.  After that, we visited Dante's house, the Gucci Museum (yes, like the fashion house has its own museum!! "Long after the price is forgotten, quality is remembered." Don't worry mom, I didn't make any Gucci purchases, as much as I wanted to....) and the Basilica Santa Croce with the tombs of Machievelli (the ends justify the means), Dante, Galilieo, and Michalangelo. 

Another full day! I think I earned another two scoops of gelato for dessert tonight...

Ciao!
Allison
p.s the spell check wasn't working, sorry about any spelling errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment